- Travel Home
- Travel News
World's top 25 hotels named by TripAdvisor
The Travelers' Choice 2013 hotel awards are out. Someone at the Four Seasons deserves a raise
Travel booking and review website TripAdvisor.com has announced the winners of its 2013 Travelers' Choice hotel awards.
Now in its eleventh year, the annual awards are based on the global site's millions of user reviews of more than 650,000 hotels collected in a single year and are broken down into the following categories: top hotels, luxury, bargain, service, small hotels and B&Bs and Inns.
Asian properties made a strong showing on this year's world's best hotels list -- particularly the Maldives.
When it comes to brands, there was a clear winner. The Four Seasons is one of only two hotel chains to see its properties earn multiple spots on TripAdvisor's world's best hotels list, with six of its resorts and hotels earning a mention, including the number one spot. (Oberoi made it to the list twice.)
Here's the full list of the world's top hotels, according to TripAdvisor users.
Travelers' Choice 2013: Top 25 hotels in the world
1. Four Seasons Resort Hualalai (Historic Ka’upulehu, Hawaii)
2. Cape Grace (Cape Town Central, South Africa)
3. Onyria Marinha Edition Hotel & Thalasso (Cascais, Portugal)
4. Rudding Park Hotel (Harrogate, United Kingdom)
5. The Upper House (Hong Kong)
6. Four Seasons Resort Mauritius (Anahita, Beau Champ, Mauritius)
7. The Samaya Bali (Seminyak, Indonesia)
8. Baros Maldives (North Male Atoll, Maldives)
9. Four Seasons Hotel Istanbul at Sultanahmet (Istanbul, Turkey)
10. Aria Hotel (Prague, Czech Republic)
11. Hotel Belvedere (Riccione, Italy)
12. La Residence Phou Vao by Orient-Express (Luang Prabang, Laos)
13. Four Seasons Hotel Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
14. An Lam Ninh Van Bay Villas (Nha Trang, Vietnam)
15. Veligandu Island Resort (North Ari Atoll, Maldives)
16. Al Maha Desert Resort (Dubai, United Arab Emirates)
17. Four Seasons Resort Maldives (Kuda Huraa, North Male Atoll, Maldives)
18. L'Hermitage Hotel (Vancouver, British Columbia)
19. Hotel Alpenhof Hintertux (Hintertux, Austria)
20. The Oberoi Mauritius (Pointe Aux Piments, Mauritius)
21. Neorion Hotel (Istanbul, Turkey)
22. The Oberoi Udaivilas (Udaipur, India)
23. Four Seasons Hotel Gresham Palace (Budapest, Hungary)
24. The Milestone Hotel (London, United Kingdom)
25. Sol & Luna Lodge & Spa (Urubamba, Peru)
Other highlights from the Travelers' Choice 2013 awards include:
Top Hotel in the U.S. and World, and Top Luxury Hotel in the U.S. and World: Four Seasons Resort Hualalai at Historic Ka'upulehu (Kailua-Kona, Hawaii)
Best Bargain Hotel in the U.S. and World: SeaCoast Inn (Hyannis, Massachusetts, United States)
Best Hotel for Service in the U.S.: Hotel California (Palm Springs, California)
Best Hotel for Service in the World: Lauriston Court Hotel (Llandudno, United Kingdom)
Top Small Hotel in the U.S.: Inn of the Five Graces (Santa Fe, New Mexico)
Top Small Hotel in the World: Anastasis Apartments (Imerovigli, Greece)
Best B&B and Inn in the U.S.: Point Clear Cottages (Fairhope, Alabama)
Best B&B and Inn in the World: Casa Portagioia (Castiglion Fiorentino, Italy)
TripAdvisor says the average nightly rate for all winners of the 2013 Travelers' Choice awards for hotels is US$213. Other average rates are: best luxury hotels, $296 per night; best bargain, $152; best for service, $288; top small hotels, $241; B&Bs and Inns, $120; and top hotels, $225.
Did your favorite hotel make the list? What criteria do you use when booking a hotel or resort? Share your thoughts in the comments box below.