Robuchon dominates Miele Guide's restaurant awards
European fare and European chefs took the lion's share of the wins, with Asian cuisine making a weak showing -- Hong Kong's iconic Yung Kee restaurant claimed tenth spot, while Japan's fine eateries were also conspicuously absent with only U.S.-headquartered Nobu Hong Kong in 15th place.
One surprise winner was Jaan Par Andre from Singapore, headed by chef Andre Chiang who took the previously unplaced restaurant and made it all the way up top to fourth position. Chef Chiang, a disciple of Robuchon, Gagnaire and the Pourcels, re-invented the menu of Jaan Par Andre, located at the 70th floor of Swissôtel The Stamford Hotel Singapore, to offer what the Guide calls "fabulously delicate yet complex modern French cuisine."
The announcements were made at the launch of the 2009/2010 Miele Guide, which features 450 restaurants across Asia -- 130 more than the first edition’s list. There are three new countries added: Brunei, Nepal and Sri Lanka -- brining to 16 the number of Asian countries featured.
The guide was launched at a private gala dinner at The Fullerton Hotel Singapore, where The Miele Guide’s new list of Asia’s Top 20 restaurants was also announced.
Miele Guides top 20 restaurants:
- L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon, Hong Kong, China
- Iggy’s, Singapore
- Robuchon a Galera, Macau, China
- Jaan par Andre, Singapore
- Les Amis, Singapore
- Mozaic, Bali, Indonesia
- Gunther’s Modern French Cuisine, Singapore
- Laris, Shanghai, China
- Ku De Ta, Bali, Indonesia
- Yung Kee, Hong Kong, China
- Bukhara, New Delhi, India
- Beijing Da Dong Roast Duck, Beijing, China
- Zanotti II Ristorante Italiano, Bangkok, Thailand
- M on the Bund, Shanghai, China
- Nobu, Hong Kong, China
- Caprice, Hong Kong, China
- Antonio’s, Cavite, Philippines
- Aubergine, Manila, Philippines
- Fook Lam Moon, Hong Kong, China
- L’Atelier de Joel Robuchon, Tokyo, Japan
The Miele Guide 2009/2010 edition is now available at www.mieleguide.com and all major bookstores across Asia, at the retail price of US$15.