S. Pellegrino's 2011 World's 50 Best Restaurants
The 2011 S. Pellegrino “World's 50 Best Restaurants List” is out, with Denmark’s Noma landing on top for the second year in a row, and Spain’s El Celler de Can Roca and Mugaritz capturing second and third.
The annual award, organized by Restaurant magazine and now in its tenth year, is widely considered to be the Oscars of the restaurant world. Results are voted by a 837-member panel of industry experts from 27 regions around the world, including chefs, food writers and restaurateurs. There are no set criteria for judging and votes are cast based on personal dining experiences.
Noma, headed by chef Rene Redzepi, is famed for its imaginative treatment of regional ingredients. CNN reported that a day after the best restaurants list came out in 2010, Noma received more than 100,000 requests for a table.
The list is dominated by restaurants in Europe, with only five restaurants in Asia-Pacific cracking the top 50 list.
China made its first appearance on the list: Chef Richard Ekkebus’ modern French restaurant Amber at Landmark Mandarin Oriental in Hong Kong was placed 37th.
Read more about Amber on CNNGo Best Eats 2010.
Japan’s Les Creations De NARISAWA, which serves unorthodox French cuisine cooked with organic soil and charcoal, is placed at number 12, claiming the Best in Asia award for the third year running.
Nihonryori Ryugin, at number 20, is the fasting rising restaurant on the list, up 28 places from last year.
Other entrants in the Asia-Pacific region including Quay Restaurant in Sydney, placed 26th, and Iggy’s in Singapore following close behind at number 27.
Restaurants from Peru and Russia also made the list for the first time. Peruvian restaurant Astrid Y Gaston was placed at number 42 and restaurant Varvary in Moscow, Russia, appears at 48.
Five-time chart topper elBulli in Spain is missing from the list this year as chef Ferran Adrià will serve its last meal as a restaurant on July 20, 2011.
It will reopen as a nonprofit gastronomy think tank in 2014.
The top 50 list:
1. Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark)
2. El Celler de Can Roca (Girona, Spain)
3. Mugaritz (Errenteria, Spain)
4. Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy)
5. The Fat Duck (Bray, England)
6. Alinea (Chicago, Illinois)
7. D.O.M. (São Paulo, Brazil)
8. Arzak (San Sebastián, Spain)
9. Le Chateaubriand (Paris, France)
10. Per Se (New York)
11. Daniel (New York)
12. Les Créations de Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
13. L'Astrance (Paris, France)
14. L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon (Paris, France)
15. Hof Van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
16. Pierre Gagnaire (Paris, France)
17. Oud Sluis (Sluis, Netherlands)
18. Le Bernardin (New York)
19. L'Arpege (Paris, France)
20. Nihonryori RyuGin (Tokyo, Japan)
21. Vendôme (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)
22. Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
23. Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)
24. Eleven Madison Park (New York)
25. Aqua (Bath, England)
26. Quay Restaurant (Sydney, Australia)
27. Iggy's (Singapore)
28. Combal Zero (Rivoli, Italy)
29. Martín Berasategui (Lasarte-Oria, Spain)
30. Bras (Laguiole, France)
31. Biko (Mexico City, Mexico)
32. Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
33. Il Ristorante Cracco (Milan, Italy)
34. The Ledbury (London, England)
35. Chez Dominique (Helsinki, Finland)
36. Le Quartier Français (Franschhoek, South Africa)
37. Amber (Hong Kong, China)
38. Dal Pescatore (Mantova, Italy)
39. Il Canto (Siena, Italy)
40. Momofuku Ssäm Bar (New York)
41. St. John (London, England)
42. Astrid y Gastón (Lima, Perú)
43. Hibiscus (London, England)
44. La Maison Troisgros (Roanne, France)
45. Alain Ducasse Au Plaza Athénée (Paris, France)
46. De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)
47. Restaurant de l'Hôtel de Ville (Crissier, Switzerland)
48. Varvary (Moscow, Russia)
49. Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)
50. Asador Etxebarri (Atxondo-Bizkaia, Spain)